I did it. I posted an ad on Craigslist. I followed rule #1, and I put myself out there. (Actually, to be fair, I did it a little more than a week ago - I had to wait until the ad expired before I could post it here because I'd hate for someone to take a piece of the ad, google it, and discover what I'm really doing. You know? Yeah, I get that thinking someone might do that makes me paranoid. But the thing is, I would do that. So I'm sure there's someone else out there who would. Right?) And boy-oh-boy have I learned what not to do in the future. I can, and probably will, write several posts about what not to say in a personals ad. And I've learned that my ad isn't really like anyone else's. Sigh.
I'm never like anyone else.
So, without further ado, the text of my first-ever Craigslist personals ad:
Okay - I'm a little picky, but so are you, right?
I’m not afraid to think things like an adult spelling bee or trivia night are cool; you aren’t either.
I try to get to the gym at least three days a week, but I’m still a work in progress. I don’t expect I’ll ever be perfect, and I’m okay with that.
When I tire of the gym, I’ll head out for a hike. I’m not a hardcore outdoorswoman, though, so a few miles are generally enough for me. I’ve been thinking of buying a bike to spice up the non-gym activities, but a few things hold me back – maybe you can help?
1) While I’ll walk alone, I’m not so keen on biking alone … just doesn’t seem all that fun without a friend.
2) It’s been awhile since I’ve been on a bike, and I’m a teensy bit scared. It wasn’t just funny when my 6 year old niece told me, “When I think of the word ‘clumsy,’ I see a picture of you in my mind”; it was also a solid commentary on my not-always-graceful nature.
3) I really don’t know anything about bikes or buying one, and while I could shop around and ask questions, it’s possible you know all the right ones to ask.
I’m a native of this fair city, but I know I’ve experienced only a fraction of its gems. You want to explore the remainder with me.
I’m interested in other peoples’ lives, and I appreciate when they’re interested in hearing about mine. I met someone for a mutual lesson the other day, spent two and a half hours together, and never once was I asked a question. I want to hear you talk, and you want the same from me. Besides the simple fact that I can be pretty interesting, a reciprocal conversation is far more enjoyable than thinking the other person invited you along just so it didn’t appear they were talking to themselves.
I’ve been on vacation for a week, didn’t leave town (I’m planning to leave when I have another week in July), and my house still isn’t clean. I’m just not a neat freak, and as long as you’re not a packrat, we should be able to make it work.
I’ll want to hang out with you, but I also like time alone. You’ll hear a sigh of relief when you tell me you’d rather go out with friends than spending every waking moment together.
I’m something of a cynic and can be judgmental at times. I’m working on both.
I don’t smoke or do drugs; neither do you. One beer, glass of wine, or cocktail can get me tipsy; two can just about do me in. I’m not a huge fan of animals of any type, and I’m fairly certain I’m developing an allergy to cats; I won’t shun you because you have them, but I probably won’t touch them, find them cute or cuddly, or want to take them out to play.
Not enough? Let me know what you think…
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment